Monday, August 24, 2009

B&N in Review


So I had my first Barnes & Noble booksigning on Saturday...

I had a good time. The staff at the Sioux City B&N was wonderful--they made me feel so welcome (they even gave me flowers, a sure way to make me love you). And the customers were nice, too. I didn't have hordes of people stopping to see me, but those who did stop were great. It's amazing how you can have a rather deep, meaningful conversation with a stranger! We talked about wine, British Columbia, postmodernism, literature, forgiveness... Wow. I am continually blown away that God allows me to experience these sorts of things.

To be honest, I'm still not a huge publicity fan. But I guess I'm learning to submit myself. It's part and parcel of the publishing game, this sometimes awkward experience of putting yourself out there (way out there if you're a closet introvert like me). And that's okay. Maybe the awkwardness keeps me humble. I have three books (almost four!) under my belt and I still feel like this blushing rookie. Does it ever change? I guess I hope not. It keeps butterflies in my stomach every time someone has the grace to say: "I loved your book..."

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations. How do you get a book signing with Barnes & Noble? Did they contact you, or did you contact them? Do they order the books to have on hand, or do you supply them? One last question ... do you have a guide you followed on how to do book signing?

    Thanks!
    Warren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Warren. In answer to your questions: B&N contacted me, they had books on hand, and I asked the advice of my good friend, a seasoned veteran in the wild ways of book signing. I think everyone has their own style... I know some people put on a bit of a show and others sit quietly and wait for someone to stop by. I did neither. I browsed the book tables around mine and entered into conversations with people. Everyone who I talked to ended up buying one of my books. Well, except for that one guy...

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so wish I had been able to attend! I had to be in Sioux Falls instead of Sioux City that day, otherwise I surely would have stopped in to support and of course, purchase a book! Glad it went well.
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be so nerve-wracking! Great picture and I wish I could have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad your book signing went well. I was thinking of you on Saturday and praying that it would be a success for you. What a blessing it must be to allow God to use these books as an outreach and opportunity to pour the love of Christ into the lives of others. Thank you for sharing your incredible gift with us and also encouraging us through this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alicia, I wish you could have come, too!

    Katie, my five-year-old took that picture. He LOVES our camera...

    Heather, thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you had a good first-signing experience! I hope you get more opportunities to do signings. Maybe in SC! :D

    ReplyDelete