Monday, March 9, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire


I'm fully aware of the fact that I'm a bit behind the times blogging about Slumdog Millionaire after all the hoopla, honors, and starry-eyed song and dance. But blog about it I must because I finally, finally had the chance to see it this weekend. I've been looking forward to this film forever, it seems, and it lived up to my every hope and expectation.

Since you can read thousands of reviews on-line, I won't bore you with yet another summary and personal critique of what Hollywood has decided is the best movie of the year (it is). I just had to take a moment to say: WATCH IT. Ignore the naysayers who claim that it unrealistically depicts an orphan and slum dweller rising above his circumstances (uh, that's the point--it's a fairytale). Ignore the skeptics who scoff that love can conquer all (I think Jesus proved exactly that--love wins). And don't be afraid to immerse yourself in the pain. It is a hard movie to watch, but it's worth every minute. May your heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment