Monday, March 2, 2009

Post-Convention

Just got back from a convention in Chicago and I'm feeling the spiritual and emotional effects of an overwhelming weekend. Don't get me wrong, The Power of With was awesome. But it makes me want to do things... As if I don't already have enough things to do. That's the problem with being a visionary (thank you Grip-Birkman personality assessment for illuminating exactly what makes me tick)--you dream big dreams. I feel singularly burdened to transform my community. But I'll get over it. Or at least I'll digest it into manageable pieces and make small changes to my own life before I unleash myself on my community. Watch out, small town U.S.A., she's armed and passionate (which is, consequently, more dangerous than being simply dangerous).

Anyway, the convention was a mosaic of seemingly unrelated experiences that I'm still processing. A few highlights:
  1. Visiting my agent on Michigan Ave. It was a miserably rainy day, but that didn't lessen my pure enjoyment of her fourth floor offices overlooking the lake. Hardwood, floor to ceiling bookshelves, enormous windows... Need I say more? The music drifting down the hall from the violin maker's studio made the whole experience feel almost scripted. I could definitely write a bestseller here.

  2. Hearing Doug Pagitt speak. He's hilarious, insightful, and brimming with ideas that make my head spin. Would love to visit him at Solomon's Porch in Minneapolis and talk community over a cup of coffee.

  3. Spending time with Deon and Alyssa, our associate pastor and his wife. I only have one word to describe this couple: awesome.

  4. Going for lunch with various friends from Tyndale. I love this publishing house (and the people in it). It's good to be reminded that it takes a village to raise a child--I mean, publish a book. Who am I kidding? It's practically the same thing.

  5. Having dozens of different conversations with people from all over North America who share the same passions as me. Constituents from CRWRC (Christian Reformed World Relief Committee), Home Missions, Communities First, DRS (Disaster Response Services), and congregations large and small made this conference feel like a family reunion. I love people.

Well, thanks for letting me process. It's been helpful. I think I am going to start small--with chocolate chip cookies for our new neighbors. They'll be coming out of the oven in about 20 minutes. In the neighborhood? Stop on by... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment