Saturday, February 7, 2009

Books I Loved

I've just finished up a whole slew of books that I absolutely loved. I wish I had the time to prattle on about all of them, but instead I'm going to give you a few mini-reviews. Read these books! They're amazing...



Havah ~ Tosca Lee

Words can't describe the heartbreaking beauty of this book. Told from the perspective of Eve, the story winds through creation, fall, and near the end blesses us with hints of redemption. It's painful to read, but hopeful too, and filled with such lovely imagery there are sections you will read and read and read again. Lee transformed the first several chapters of the Bible for me.

Fieldwork ~ Mischa Berlinski

Set in Thailand, Fieldwork is part mystery, part anthropological tale, part social and religious criticism. If that doesn't interest you, ignore my one-sentence summary! This is a fascinating book that kept me turning pages late into the night. The world Mischa creates among the hill tribes of Thailand may be fictitious, but his story rings so true you can't help but mourn and rejoice with the characters.


The Stones Cry Out ~ Sibella Giorello

This award winning book by debut author Giorello has it all: a great plot, interesting characters, and gorgeous prose. I'm usually not much of a mystery reader, but this FBI thriller was sensitive and well-written. Raleigh Harmon is an FBI agent in Richmond, Virginia when two men plummet from the roof of a building to their death below. 600 people witnessed the incident, but no one is talking...

1 comment:

  1. I have been dying to read Havah - I almost bought it from christianbook.com, but i wasn't sure if i wanted to spend my christmas money on it without reading any reviews. guess you have answered my question though! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete