Thursday, May 29, 2008

Tornado

A few posts ago I blogged about the tornado that swept past our little town. At the time I considered the event almost fun--part of the Midwest experience. I mean, come on, I grew up with the tornado sirens going off! It's a little thrilling, or at the very least, a moment of excitement in an otherwise rather sleepy town.

But I'm afraid I have to repent of my earlier laissez-faire attitude toward these powerful spring storms. The situations in Myanmar, China, and even locally have instilled in me a bit of awe and reverence (albeit late blooming) for the potentially terrifying weather patterns in our world. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the sort to cry: "the sky is falling!" And I definitely don't buy into the typical fear and conjecture that plays into popular end times theology. But I do think the past few weeks have made me aware of the potential in the world around me. I've come to understand that what happened in Parkersville, Iowa, could have just as easily happened in my own sweet corner of creation. Yikes. Words are hopelessly inadequate. Lord, be gracious and compassionate...



No comments:

Post a Comment