Saturday, May 15, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake

Here's the recipe I promised! One of my all-time favorites. :) Usually I make the cake from scratch, but you can just as easily bake it from a box. When I'm pressed for time I like something really rich and dark like Devil's Food or Dark Chocolate Fudge. I don't recommend German Chocolate or something similarly sweet or too light with this decadent recipe.

Have a great weekend!


Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake

1 dark chocolate cake, baked according to directions in two round pans
peanut butter cups

Filling:

1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
salt to taste

-Blend butter and peanut butter until creamy. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. If desired, add salt pinch by pinch until it tastes perfect.

Frosting:

3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup butter (not margarine!)
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla
dash of salt

-Melt butter and add vanilla. Sift cocoa and sugar togehter. Add dry mixture to melted butter bit by bit. When the frosting becomes too thick, begin to slowly add evaporated milk. Beat until smooth and creamy. Again, add salt if needed.

To assemble the cake, place one round cake on a serving platter. Top with all of the peanut butter filling. Layer second round cake on top. Frost the entire cake, and garnish with chopped peanut butter cups.

4 comments:

  1. Holy moly, that looks delicious! I wish I could just dip my hand into the computer screen and snatch a handful of that cake! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's just wrong, I say. Wrong. You should be ashamed of yourself posting that photo. With all that talk of yummy butter, and peanut butter, and chocolate. And me with nothing in the house that even comes close to meeting that particular nee... OK... want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay this seriously looks divine! i'll have to try it next week now i think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am ashamed of myself, Lisa... Especially since I've gained more in this last month of pregnancy than the first four combined! :)

    Glad it looks good to y'all! Be careful though... If you make it, it's very hard to walk past and not steal a "little nibble." I know from experience that you can "little nibble" your way through an entire cake!

    ReplyDelete