Friday, October 9, 2009

Naked in Love: Revisited



(This post was first published on November 25, 2007.)

*     *     *     *     *

Like my racy blog title? I’ll probably get some people trawling the World Wide Web for sexual references checking out my blog! Sorry to disappoint, this post has nothing to do with sex. Oops! I said the S word. Another red flag just went up somewhere in blogland. He-he-he!

Anyway, I had to post this. I was curled up on the couch this evening doing my Bible study as my husband got my four-year-old ready for bed. All of the sudden, said little one comes barreling into the living room buck-naked except for a pair of khaki socks. He proceeds to do a wild jig and then pauses to admire himself. He holds out his arms and studies them. He bends down to check out his legs. Then he hooks his chin over his shoulder and peeks at his backside. After a moment of contemplation he says, “Mommy, I love my bum.” He gives it a resounding smack for good measure and runs from the room.

I laughed my head off. And then I envied him a little bit. I can’t remember the last time I’ve done such a thorough inspection of self and come back with such positive results. Most of my self-evaluation (physical, mental, emotional, relational, spiritual, etc.) is rather harsh and uncompromising. I don’t see a whole lot in myself that I can love as cheerfully as my son loves his bum.

Hmmm. I think I could wax philosophical on this for a long time, but I’d rather leave you to your own deep thoughts. Have fun. I’ve been pondering this for hours… And laughing. I've been doing a lot of laughing... :)

2 comments:

  1. I love some of the things my kids say. Toddler said a classic at the dinner table the other night!
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that is perhaps the funniest thing I've heard all day! What am I talking about? That IS the funniest thing I've heard all day! But so nice for your son to be so proud of his image. I can name handfuls of things, not all physical, that I wish I could change about myself, and I think it is very special for someone to be so happy with their appearance, and just themselves in general, because esteem is so hard to come by these days. I hope he never loses that positivity!

    ReplyDelete