Thursday, April 24, 2008

Juno

I had the distinct privilege of watching an excellent movie last night. Although I love a good film, I willingly admit that I am a bit picky... It takes a lot (great acting, an excellent story, artful cinematography, etc.) to impress me. There are lots of movies that I like, but few that I love. Juno is one of the few that managed to delight and surprise me.

Diablo Cody's screenplay is somewhat common in it's premise: girl meets boy, girl gets pregnant, girl deals with ensuing fall-out. But what made Juno stand out was its quirky characters and almost reverent undertones. Juno (Ellen Page), the sixteen-year-old mom-to-be, was exquisitely real as she tried to mask her fears in teenage bravado. Though her decisions seem hasty and almost childish at times, the underlying motivation behind everything she does (and doesn't do) is the wellbeing of her unborn child. It was refreshing and inspiring to see the sacrifices that Juno was willing to make for her baby.

The film was hilarious in parts, heartbreaking in others. I laughed out loud and I cried until the tears dripped off my chin. Best of all, when the final credits of Juno began to roll, I wanted to start all over again. Maybe I'll watch it again tonight. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment