Thursday, March 6, 2008

Festival Reading

I have to admit that while I once fully believed in the concept of global warming, I'm starting to wonder if the whole thing isn't just one big conspiracy after all. Of course, I'm kidding. I do think global warming is undeniable, but it's a tough pill to swallow when this winter seems ENDLESS! It snowed again on Tuesday (nearly four more inches!) and we have yet to crack the freezing barrier this week. Argh. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) was commonplace when we lived on the West Coast, but usually the sunny winters of the Midwest aren't quite so depressing. Not so this year. I'm definitely SAD. Though, I am starting to look forward to April. I bought my tickets for Grand Rapids today and decided that travel plans are a balm for the soul--I can't wait to attend the Calvin Festival of Faith and Writing!

In anticipation of hearing all the wonderful speakers, I went through the list and picked out the "not-to-be-missed" presenters. Then I made a reading list for myself, a collection of all of the books I hope to have read in time for the festival. Looks like I need to get cracking (though, thankfully, I've already read some). Anyway, all of these books are supposedly marvelous and I can't wait to get reading. Good thing the weather is miserable and there's not much else to do... Hopefully some of these will spark your interest, too.

Elizabeth Strout - Amy and Isabelle

Haven Kimmel - A Girl Named Zippy (memoir)

Edward P. Jones - The Known World

Michael Chabon - The Yiddish Policeman's Union

Yann Martel -The Life of Pi

Luci Shaw - Breath for Bones

Rob Bell - Velvet Elvis, Sex God

Francine Rivers - take your pick

1 comment: