Monday, August 11, 2008

Edits

It's Monday afternoon and I am officially exhausted. And the week has just begun--what's my problem? It could have something to do with the fact that it's cool and overcast today (fall weather already?), but more likely, my eyes are tired and my brain is fried from working on edits for my third book (tentatively titled All the Places Between--what do you think?). Hooray! I'm firmly entrenched in the editorial process!

Believe it or not, I love editing. Right now I have spread out beside me all 407 pages, 115,438 words of my manuscript. And it's covered in handwritten comments, post-it notes, and suggestions. Most of the time, I find the observations spot-on and helpful. Since I want this book to be the best it can possibly be, I'm more than willing to iron out every wrinkle I can. But deciphering the notes isn't always easy (I just read: "Catholics are hot, big Bible readers," and stared cross-eyed at the page until I realized the comment was actually "Catholics are not big Bible readers." He-he-he!), and sometimes I feel like untangling the story lines to get at the heart of the matter is dizzingly difficult. Difficult, but very rewarding. I love doing it.

Anyway, back to edits for now. I leave on vacation soon so I want to get as much done as possible before we jet off to BC. I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment