Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Favorite Summer Dessert

Even though we've had lots of rain lately, I am jumping headlong into summer. My jeans are packed away and my kids are wearing flipflops and tanktops (I just love pudgy toddler arms in sleeveless shirts!) We're grilling outside, staying up late, drinking raspberry lemonade, and roasting hot dogs over the fire pit in my brother's backyard. My four-year-old is partial to "marshmallows and chocolate and graham crackers all squished together." (For some reason, the word s'more seems beyond him.)

Though it was dreary today, yesterday was hot and gorgeous--we went to the pool for the first time this season, and managed to get good and exhausted (and just a little sunburnt). And going to the pool made me crave my favorite summertime treat. It's simple, delicious, and you can bet my freezer will be crammed with it for the next few months. I thought I'd share the recipe with you. Enjoy!

* * * * *

Ice Cream Bars

6 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup corn syrup
4 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
5 cups Rice Krispies
chocolate sauce
1/2 gallon of ice cream (any flavor, I'm a big fan of Rocky Road)

-Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the corn syrup and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. When the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is beginning to thicken, remove from heat. Add the peanut butter and Rice Krispies. Mix well. Press 1/2 of the Rice Krispies mixture onto a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper. Drizzle a layer of chocolate sauce on top. Soften ice cream and spread evenly over the Rice Krispies. Top with the remaining Rice Krispies mix. Press together. Freeze for an hour at least. Remove the bars from the freezer and cut into individual size servings. Wrap each bar with plastic wrap. Freeze until ready to eat.

2 comments:

  1. Just had to let you know...I've made this recipe twice now and the kids LOVE it (can't say I don't love it myself!). Tried it the 2nd time with carmel instead of chocolate...that was yummy, too!

    Overheard my 5 yo tell his sisters that when he was grown up he was making them for his kids. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cute! :) I'm glad you like them--they're my addiction.

    Hope you're having a great summer!

    ReplyDelete